Biography: Margot Schulzke, PSA, PSWC-DP; DPS, KA
PSWC Hall of Fame: Pastel Laureate, 2006
Signature member Pastel Society of America, Degas Pastel Society
Distinguished Pastelist, Pastel Society of the West Coast, since 1988
Elected an Artist Member, California Art Club, and American Artists Professional League; Author, A Painter’s Guide to Design and Composition, North Light 2006
Margot Schulzke's name and her work are well known coast to coast. A longtime columnist for The Pastel Journal, as author of her widely-read Artist’s Viewpoint, she is widely regarded as an authority on the subject of composition and design. She was the subject of a feature article written by Christine Proskow in The Pastel Journal December 2008. Her work has been featured in a number of books and articles; a list appears below.
Margot Schulzke has judged numerous exhibitions, both national and regional, over a period of some twenty-five years. Among those are Bold Expressions, Sacramento fine Arts Center, 2011, Pastels USA 2008 at the Haggin Museum, The Pastel Journal 100, 2004, Pastels USA 2003 as juror of selection, and Sierra Pastel Society National Open, Northwest Pastel Society National Open Exhibition, Tacoma WA 2008, Pastels USA 2008, Haggin Museum, Stockton CA, juror of awards, Emerald Art Center National Open 2009, Eugene, OR.
Societies interested in having Margot Schulzke judge an exhibition may contact the artist at email@example.com
Books and Publications
A Painter's Guide to Design and Composition, full color, Margot Schulzke, author; North Light Books, Cincinnati, OH, 2006.
Pure Color, the Best of Pastel, North Light Books, 2006
Best of Pastel, full color; Rockport Publishers, Rockport Mass., 1992
Best of Pastel II, full color, Rockport, 1999
Landscape Inspirations, full color; Rockport, 1997
Pastel Interpretations, full color, Madlyn Ann Woolwich, North Light Books, 1993
Who's Who in America, 2008- 2015
Who’s Who in American Art, every edition since 1993
Who’s Who in the World, 2015
Full page coverage, February 2012 in Moldova’s 'Aquarelle' - their most widely-read women’s magazine.
The Pastel Journal, 2 pg article, United in Art, August, 2012 on her tour of the Republic of Moldova at on behalf of the U S Embassy
The Pastel Journal, 6 pg article, October 2013, Making a Scene, article on composition.
www.artistsinpastel.com/2012/04/honfleur-innerharbour-margot-schulzke.html - An online feature on Margot and her work.
The Pastel Journal, 6 pg feature article, December 2008
The Pastel Journal, feature article as a juror of Pastel 100 Competition (3,000 entries), April, 2004
Guide to the Arts Magazine, cover and feature article, color, Summer 2001
California Seasons Magazine, cover, feature article, color, Spring 1998
Artist’s Magazine, two articles, 1992, January and June issues
Plus literally dozens of articles by the artist, published in The Pastel Journal from 1999-present. See Publications page for more information.
Margot Schulzke Selected Exhibitions and Honors
- U S Embassy, Chisinau, Moldova, solo exhibition of her works, September 2011; exhibition toured other locations in that country for several months following
- Pastel Society of the West Coast, Pastels USA International, fourteen awards 1986-2013
- Pastel Society of America, National Arts Club, Pastels Only, 1986 through 1993
- PSWC Pastel Laureate 2006
- Triton Museum, Santa Clara CA. Pastels USA 23rd Annual Internatl. Exhibition, 2009
- 55th Annual Haggin Museum National Juried Exhibition, 2008, Stockton, CA
- Pastels USA 19th Annual International Exhibition, 2005, San Luis Opispo, Award
- Lauren Rogers Museum of Art, Laurel, Mississippi, 2004-5
- Pastels USA, Triton Museum, Santa Clara, Ca., 2004
- Degas Pastel Society Biennial, New Orleans, 1988, 2004, Pastel Society of America Award
- Salmagundi Club, New York; Audubon Society National Open Exhibition, 2002
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, BYU, 2000
- Pastel Society of North Florida, 1996, award
- Monmouth Museum, Lincroft, New Jersey, invitational exhibition, 1994
- Springville Museum, Springville, Utah, Spring Salon, 1993
- Quincy Museum Invitational Exhibition, Quincy, Illinois, 1992
- Toronto, Canada International Invitational Exhibition, 1992